Please follow these general safety tips when operating a vehicle:
- Always drive defensively. Try to anticipate errors another driver might make.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Check your mirrors, look both ways at intersections and look over the proper shoulder before making a lane change or merging with traffic.
- Steer smoothly and avoid sudden turns.
- Accelerate and stop smoothly. Slow down or speed up gradually to avoid sudden jerks.
- Be aware of where you have to stop when approaching an intersection. If your view is blocked, stop then move forward carefully. Look both ways before continuing into the intersection. Do not roll through stop signs or red lights.
- Always obey posted speed limits. When poor weather, road or traffic conditions are present, reduce speed accordingly.
- Use the two-second rule to ensure you are following at a safe distance. Increase the following distance for poor weather, road or traffic conditions.
- Know what all traffic signs and signals mean and obey them at all times.
- Use the correct lane. Always signal and turn from the proper lane.
- Put your signal on 100 feet before turning or changing lanes.
Help keep Texans safe.
Be a responsible driver.